Sunday, May 25, 2008

Lakers should beat Spurs, they must

The Lakers used to be my team. But once Magic Johnson retired I lost interest. Showtime was gone and what did we have to look forward to? Sedale Threatt?

Hey I'm not knocking Sedale but he was no Earvin Magic, nor was he Byron Scott for that matter. The Lakers plodded along, Kobe came onto the scene, then Shaq, and basically the wheels fell off if you ask me. Yeh they won a few championships but it never inspired me the way the 1980s Lakers did.

I moved on, sometimes supporting random teams, mostly cheering for good West Coast basketball such as that played by the current Golden State Warriors or the now busted up Phoenix Suns.

To my delight, however, the Lakers are back. They're in the Western Conference Finals and dare I say it, their basketball is attractive - perhaps even inspirational at times. Kobe is finally sharing - big change. The role players are fulfilling expectations and it's almost as if Jack Nicholson's unwavering loyalty is starting to pay off. Good for you Jack.

But unfortunately, the Lakers lost to the Spurs in Game 3 today and I'm starting to wonder whether it's all a sham. It might just be a whole lot of hocus pocus - Kobe style - in which a team that looks positively brilliant could unhinge at any time. I don't know what to think anymore. I'm not back on the L.A. bandwagon by any means, but more than ever we need the purple and gold to knock off the most boring team in basketball. Don't we?

God speed to you Lakers. This is your series...for old times sake.

No comments: