Thursday, April 17, 2008

Isn't the orginal still the best?

I'm watching a Padres - Rockies game that might never end. It's the top of the 11th and Tulowitzki is up with one out. No score.

Ground out into double play - hot damn - I've seen more hits on a Billy Ray Cyrus record. This could go all night.

Meanwhile, I watched Star Wars before the game and may have to reconsider my 'original' trilogy rankings. I mean the obvious call is that The Empire Strikes Back is the best of the three. It has the stunning opening sequence on the planet Hoth, the Jedi training scenes with Yoda, the introduction of Lando, the romance between Han and Leah, and of course, the brilliant showdown of Luke and Darth. I agree, it's hard to beat.

But I think all too often fans and commentators alike forget the wonder of the original. In A New Hope we fall in love with the characters, we learn their backgorunds, we best witness Luke's innocence and Han's bravado, and we get the comedy of 3-PO and R-2. In addition, I can't look past that middle act inside the Death Star; it's just a thrill to watch our heroes on the run within the enemy camp.

I might just bump this film to the top of my trilogy list - for now anyway.

PS. The game has since moved onto the 13th inning...

No comments: